Sri Lanka: And Then There Were Three...

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Six Weeks of Pure Stupidity!!


Hello Everyone!! I hope that all is well and that you are all preparing for next week's heat wave. How fun. Anyways. I just wanted to wrap up my blogging, seeing that our six weeks of madness is coming to an end. It is Saturday, 7/29, in Sri Lanka and I will be coming home on Monday. So the purpose of this blog is to bid adieu to the country which gave me the most rashes and health problems ever in my life, better known as Sri Lanka. This blog is also to express my feelings about the trip in general, as well as my traveling companions, Mike and Blair (and Bro. Augustine, who has been here for some time now, but I've been forgetting to include him in my blogs). Sorry Bro. So I hope all of you have gone to the bathroom and grabbed a snack because this is going to be a little long. Shall we begin?? I think so.

Let's start with Mike, Blair and Bro...
I don't know what would be the approriate words to describe three of the most inappropriate people I have ever met. So with that said, I am going to let all of you decide.

The following are just some of the crazy things they've said:

"I remember you...I saw Patrick and thought who's that girl stratteling Patrick." --Blair

Melissa: "Mike, what do crickets eat?"
Mike: "Puerto Ricans."

"Wow. You've got the whole food chain in your room--Puerto Ricans, Crickets, Gekos." --Blair

"Man, these kids are spending their life savings on you...Ma, can I borrow $100? I'll pay you back right before you die!" --Blair

(Scenario: We've just finished dinner and getting ready for our second round of dessert...well, at least Mike and Blair are. As Mike scoops the not yet defrost ice cream, the Mango Madness jumps up and hits him in the neck...)
"I've been hit; avenge my death." --Mike

"This is like a ghetto commercial of Monistat." --Blair


I know what you are all thinking. How did I manage to survive with these people, particularly Mike and Blair for six weeks? I don't know. But I'm glad that I did. Mike and Blair, I love you guys. I wouldn't have had survived in Sri Lanka for six weeks if you two weren't my partners in crime, and you both know that is the truth. Mike, I think you and I have grown closer as friends and I am very happy about that because you are one of the greatest guys I know. Blair, I think that you and I have become very good friends and I cannot wait until you come back to New York. Nevertheless, I think it's safe to say that we laughed a lot, got on each other's nerves, and really enjoyed each other.

Bro. Augustine. You are one crazy guy. I am convinced that you and Bro. Rob are not really brothers. I know you remember every joke you craked and every wise ass comment you mumbled, so I won't bother to include it in the blog. But I am very happy that you were the one to accompany us on this trip and proud of the fact that you were one of the people who taught me how to be a teacher. Thank you.

And lastly...

Dear Sri Lanka,
This time around was very interesting. And I am going to keep it real: I am and was always ready to come home. This time around was longer, more tedious, more stressful, sometimes annoying, but memorable no doubt. I honestly don't know if I'll return but I am very appreciative that I had this opportunity and very thankful for this learning experience. I feel very strongly about this program and will encourage other members of Manhattan College to partake in it. I learned more about myself, both as an individual and as a teacher--and Sri Lanka was responsible for this. I also want to thank the following people for all of their assistance with this trip: Dean Merriman, Casey, Neil, all of the Old Boys (just to name a few: Ravi, Felix, Rohan, Lasantha, and Dudley), Bro. Granville, Mr. Ananda Perera, St. Benedict's College, all of my grade 9 (even those little terrors), Bro. Rajan, Bro. Augie of Sri Lanka, Bro. Augie of New York, and last but certainly not least, my Mike and Blair. We made this trip what it was because we worked our asses off. You both were my support group and you both are my family!

Sincerely,
Ms. Melissa Crespo

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home