Sri Lanka: And Then There Were Three...

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

We're here, sorry for the delay

Hello All! I've finally had time to update the blog. For starters, we all had a very safe, much shorter, plane ride to Sri Lanka. It was a total of about 16 hours, in oppose to January's 22 hours. We are staying in Colombo, the country's capital, in the Provincial Headquarters (aka The house of the religious brothers). Everyone is very hospitable and helpful and we are all in a safe haven. (Thank God.) Nevertheless, we are all aware of the media and the political situation and will continue to be careful. Again fortunately, we are in a very safe place.
We've begun teaching at St. Benedict's College and it's been pretty hectic, which would explain the delay in updating the blog. I'm teaching 5 sections of 9th grade English in this all-boy school. It's been going well. So far, I've had one student ask me for my phone number, one asked me to be his pen pal, and another proposed to me. So, I think I am succeeding in teaching them how to communicate in English. Outside of the school environment, I 've been careful about my curry food intake. However, I am unsuccessful at staying well. I have a ridiculous rash on various parts of my body and had to go to the hospital to receive antibiotics. Hopefully all will be well and I'll get better. I'll keep Everyone posted, just please don't worry. The Sri Lankas are treating me well and taking good care of all of us. I have to go now, I am being kicked off. Will post again as soon as I can. Love you all!

7 Comments:

  • Glad to hear that you arrived safely and that you feel safe at the school and the provincial house. How is the weather and the food at the provincial house? What's new at St. Benedict's?
    Hello to Mike and Blair! What is there teaching schedule?
    william.merriman@manhattan.edu

    By Blogger Bill merriman, at 12:39 PM  

  • Hi Melissa,

    I am glad to hear that you all arrived safe and sound. Sorry to hear about your rash. A momentary inconvenience I am sure. You have now assumed the status of visiting celebrity teacher. I am looking forward to your future posts. You should try to post at the end of each day. What e-mail address should I use for you, Google or MC? Give my best to Mike and Blair. Be well.

    By Blogger Dr. Peter McCarthy, at 12:48 PM  

  • Your dreams have come true Melissa, you are the Beyonce of Sri Lanka. Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound, and that you intend on staying that way until you leave :). Good luck with the rash, and i hope that you haven't eaten all the easy mac yet.... Looking forward to your next blog entry! Enjoy!

    By Blogger Jen Flinn, at 2:09 PM  

  • Hey Melissa it is your long lost friend Patrick, writing from a San Fran hostel. I am okay and hope you are too. I miss you dearly, but know that you will be fine. Be careful and don't forget about me. And always be positive! I love you.

    Patrick

    By Blogger PatrickDevery, at 1:03 AM  

  • Hey Melissa, it is your long lost boy friend emailing you from San Fran, California. I miss you dearly. Don't worry, everything will be okay, I promise. God speed baby, I love you!

    Patrick

    By Blogger PatrickDevery, at 1:05 AM  

  • Hi Melissa, Michael & Blair:
    Great to hear that you arrived safely & are doing well.
    Melissa, sorry to hear about your rash - hope you feel better soon.
    On behalf of all the Old Bens in the US & around the world, A VERY BIG THANK YOU to all of you for taking on this project. We very much appreciate & admire your courage for doing this under the current political climate in Sri Lanka. We know that you are going to make a huge difference in the lives of the St. Benedict's College students. We hope that you also have a rewarding experience in Sri Lanka.
    Please do not hesitate to let me know if we can do anything to make your stay more comfortable.
    We look forward to reading your future entries.
    Warm regards,
    Casey (I. J. Thampoe)

    By Blogger Casey Thampoe, at 10:36 AM  

  • Hi Melissa, Michael, and Blair,

    I had called a couple of Old Bens in Sri Lanka and was told you three arrived safely and were doing well. I am glad to hear that. We are all keeping abreast of the political situation there, but don't let that take away from the wonderful experience you and your students will have thanks to your spending six weeks at SBC. You are in a very safe environment (both at the College and the Brothers' House), so do take advantage of that.

    I look forward to seeing you in about three weeks when I come to Colombo. And I will keep checking this blog (alas, intermittently, as I will be out of the office for three weeks prior to getting to Sri Lanka).

    Take care of yourselves and do have a wonderful time at SBC.

    By Blogger Neil DeVotta, at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home